Built in 1910, this tower is located in Palo Alto at the intersection of Hawthorne Avenue and Alma Street. The historical marker for this tower reads: "This tower well symbolizes what is best about a forward thinking, progressive city government that chose local ownership of essential utility services. Due to the foresight of town leaders such as Stanford Engineering professors Charles "Daddy" Marx and Charles Benjamin Wing, Palo Alto began municipal operation of its water utility in 1896. In 1910, this well was built to assure citizens in North Palo Alto of a safe and reliable source of water. Equally important, it provided valuable fire protection for the many wooden structures downtown."
This photo was taken of the offices at night in 2009.